Skip to main content
our twitterour facebook page pintrest youtube
The Warsaw Ghetto Uprising 1943
The Warsaw Ghetto was the largest of the Jewish ghettos established by Nazi Germany in occupied Poland during the World War II's Holocaust. In the three years of its existence, starvation, disease and relocations to concentration camps lowered the population of the ghetto from an about 380,000 to 70,000. The Warsaw Ghetto was the scene of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising: the first mass uprising against Nazi occupation in Europe.
The Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, sometimes called the Warsaw 1943 Uprising, was an insurrection in German occupied Warsaw's Ghetto against Nazi Germany during World War II. The rebellion lasted from January 18 to May 16, 1943 and was finally crushed by SS-Gruppenführer (then Brigadeführer) Jürgen Stroop. 
The Warsaw Ghetto Uprising of 1943 is sometimes confused with the Warsaw Uprising of 1944. The two events were separated in time and were quite different in their purpose. The first, in the Ghetto, was a choice to die fighting, with a slight hope of escape, rather than a sure death in a concentration camp, with the moment to fight being chosen as the last moment when the strength to fight was still available. The second was a coordinated action, part of a large Operation Tempest. Still, there are links between the events. A number (approximately 1000) of the fighters from the Ghetto Uprising took part in the later Warsaw Uprising. The brutality of the Nazi forces was similar. Some leaders of the Warsaw Uprising took inspiration from the fight in the Ghetto.
On January 18, 1943, the first instance of armed resistance occurred when the Germans started the second expulsion of the Jews. The Jewish fighters had some success: the expulsion stopped after four days and the Jews took control of the Ghetto, building dozens of fighting posts and exposing Jewish collaborators. During the next three months, all inhabitants of the Ghetto prepared for what they realized would be a final struggle. Hundreds of bunkers were dug under the houses (including 618 air raid bunkers), most connected through the sewer system and linked up with the central water supply and electricity, and in some cases featuring camouflaged air supplies and tunnels leading to safer areas of Warsaw. 

Captured inhabitants of the Ghetto awaited removal to the Umschlagplatz for deportation. Support from outside the Ghetto was limited, but Polish units from Home Army and People's Guard sporadically attacked German sentry units near the ghetto walls and attempted to smuggle weapons and ammunition inside. One Polish unit from AK under the command of Henryk Iwański, even fought inside the Ghetto together with the Jews. The Polish Home Army tried twice to blow up the Ghetto Wall, but without much success. The final battle started on the eve of Passover, April 19, 1943. Jewish partisans shot and threw grenades at German from alleyways, sewers, house windows, and even from burning buildings. 
The Nazis responded by shelling the houses block by block and rounding up or killing any Jew they could capture. Significant resistance ended on April 23, and the uprising ended on May 16. Nevertheless, sporadic shooting could be heard in the area of the Ghetto throughout the summer of 1943. After the uprising, the Ghetto became the place where Polish prisoners and hostages were executed by Germans. Later the Warschau concentration camp was founded in the area of the Ghetto. During the later Warsaw uprising in 1944, Polish Home Army unit "Zoska" was able to save 380 Jewish concentration camp prisoners, most of whom immediately joined the Home Army.